Sue’s dad brought the family to Kitimat, BC from Scotland when she was 4. After growing up surrounded by the forests and ocean of the north coast, university drew her to Vancouver where she lived before moving to Whistler in 2008. Drawn to Whistler for its scenery, healthy active live style, friendly people and dynamic community spirit, Sue quickly became an active and respected member of our volunteer community. Sue lives full time in Emerald with her partner Johnny Mikes and their two dogs.
Sue utilized her first degree and training as a Registered Dietician in health care where she held positions like Manager of Nutrition for Kitimat General Hospital. In 2004 she returned to university where she earned a Masters of Environment & Management and then became Environmental Program Coordinator for Vancouver Coastal Health. Sue subsequently started her own business, Ecoinspire, which has provided planning, program design and waste management expertise since 2008 and has done projects for the RMOW, the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District, the BC Ministry of Environment, BC Housing, the BC Light Recycle Program, and the BC Small Appliance Recycling Program. She is experienced in developing work plans, managing budgets, crafting communication strategies, and engaging in public consultations. Her proven experience working in a collaborative team environment and delivering results on time and on budget makes her a great addition to Whistler Council.
- Community Advisory Group for the Official Community Plan (OCP)
- Squamish Lillooet Regional District’s Solid Waste Plan Monitoring Committee
- Whistler 2020 Materials and Solid Waste task force 2008 -2010
- Recycling Council of BC (Board and Policy Committee)
- Pitching in to help other community efforts such as Toonie rides, Whistler Business Excellence awards, environmental and zero waste groups
- Fulfilled requests for presentations at various public events including at AWARE, Recycling Council of BC conference, Coast Waste Management Conference, Be the Change workshop, BC Sustainable Communities conference, and the Canadian Conference for Pollution Prevention
- Participated in consultations for the Sea to Sky Clean Air Society’s Air Quality Management Plan, the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District’s Integrated Sustainability Plan and its Energy Resilience report.
- Masters of Environment & Management, Royal Roads University – 2006
- Bachelor of Science, UBC – 1991
- Dietetic internship, Calgary General Hospital, 1993
- various professional development courses (e.g.. community based social marketing and facilitation)